The Placer County Air Pollution Control District is awarding $931,000 in 2012 Clean Air Grant funds to 10 projects that will reduce air pollution in Placer County.
“The Clean Air Grant program directly supports our primary goal of improving Placer County’s air quality,” said Tom Christofk, Placer County Air Pollution Control Officer.
“It’s important that we support proactive approaches to reduce harmful emissions in the County. By funding the approved grant projects this year, an estimated 30 tons of criteria pollutant emissions will be reduced within the county over the next several years.”
In all, the District received 19 project applications seeking more than $2.7 million in grant funding. The 2012 grant awards were approved by the Placer County Air Pollution Control District Board of Directors at its April 12, 2012, Board Meeting. All but one of the projects that received funding this year are projects that will be replacing older higher polluting off-road equipment with equipment that has top-of-the-line clean burning engines.
The other project that received funding is a Placer County Transportation Agency program designed to help to reduce traffic congestion caused by accidents or downed vehicles on Interstate 80 and State Route 65 in the Roseville-Rocklin area.
The Clean Air Grant program is an annual program that has been implemented since 2001. It is designed to reduce criteria air pollutants primarily from mobile sources which are not already regulated by air quality laws.
Over the past decade, a total of $13.5 million in funds has been awarded through the grant program and an estimated 950 tons of criteria pollutant emissions have been reduced within the County.
The next Clean Air Grant application solicitation period is expected to open up again in January of 2013 and run for two months. Visit this site for more information.
2012 Clean Air Grant Awardees:
- ERL Off-Road Equipment (Replacement) $32,842
- ERL Off-Road Equipment (Replacement) $29,559
- John Hofman Ag Tractor (Replacement) $193,812
- KP Martin Off-Road Equipment (Replacement) $62,000
- PCTPA Freeway Service Patrol $41,000
- Robinson Sand & Gravel Off-Road Equipment (Replacement) $175,494
- SPI Forklift (Replacement) $95,186
- SPI Forklift (Replacement) $61,295
- West-Con Construction Off-Road Equipment (Replacement) $46,000
- William Hofman Ag Tractor (Replacement) $193,812